Monday, September 27, 2010

stalking Einstein

 
Last week I went to the library 'cause I wanted something to read, it's to early to read something in finnish but fortunately the town public library has also an english section so I gave a look. There is a small young section, full of fantasies and teenage-books. I don't like them but I checked anyway. I found this book, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, I read the side cover and it' looked intresting. About a 12 year-old girl who lives in NY during the 70's. A normal life but one day, after her best friend Sal gets punched by a kid, he shuts her out of his life and some time later she finds a note on a tiny peace of paper: "I am coming to save your friend's life, and my own. I ask to favors. First, you must write me a letter." Even if this book was written for young teenagers I read it anyway and finished it in one day. One of the best stories I've ever read. Touching, mature, deep and brilliant.
I advice to read it. I don't want to tell more. Beside that I was surprised to know that the story is somehow linked to Einstein's theory of relativity and the possibility if time travelling.

It is surprising because at the moment I'm reading another book, "L'Universo Elegante" (The Elegant Universe), which is about the superstrings theory, a TOE (theory of everything) that would unite Einstein's theory and quantum mechanics. I know it's neard-stuff but I like physics. The book is sometimes quite difficult but it's quite easy to read even for me that I'm 17. It really seems that everywhere I go or everything I read has a bit of Einstein in it. It's not the first time it happens. Einstein it's really stalking me. I just have to see if in the next book I read Einstein will stalk me again. I wouldn't complain about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment